In this post,we will see introduction to SOAP web services.
Web service Tutorial Content:
- Introduction to web services
Web services interview questions
SOAP web service introduction
RESTful web service introduction
Difference between SOAP and REST web services
SOAP web service example in java using eclipse
JAX-WS web service eclipse tutorial
JAX-WS web service deployment on tomcat
Create RESTful web service in java(JAX-RS) using jersey
RESTful web service JAXRS json example using jersey
RESTful web service JAXRS CRUD example using jersey
AngularJS RESTful web service JAXRS CRUD example using $http
RESTful Web Services (JAX-RS) @QueryParam Example
Spring Rest simple example
Spring Rest json example
Spring Rest xml example
Spring Rest CRUD example
Simple Object Access Protocol (SOAP) is a standard protocol specification for message exchange based on XML. Communication between the web service and client happens using XML messages.
A simple web service architecture have two components
- Service provider
- Location of webservices server
- Functions available,signature and return types of function.
- Communication protocol
- Input output formats
What is WSDL?WSDL stands for Web Service Description Language. It is an XML file that describes
the technical details of how to implement a web service, more specifically the URI,
port, method names, arguments, and data types. Since WSDL is XML, it is both
human-readable and machine-consumable, which aids in the ability to call and bind to
services dynamically.using this WSDL file we can understand things like,
- Port / Endpoint – URL of the web service
- Input message format
- Output message format
- Security protocol that needs to be followed
- Which protocol the web service uses
Ways to access web service:
There are two ways to access web service.
- If Service provider knows client:If service provider knows its client then it will provide its wsdl to client and client will be able to access web service.
- Service provider register its WSDL to UDDI and client can access it from UDDI:UDDI stands for Universal Description, Discovery and Integration.It is a directory service. Web services can register with a UDDI and make themselves available through it for discovery.So following steps are involved.
- Service provider registers with UDDI.
- Client searches for service in UDDI.
- UDDI returns all service providers offering that service.
- Client chooses service provider
- UDDI returns WSDL of chosen service provider.
- Using WSDL of service provider,client accesses web service.