Target AudienceThis tutorial is designed for Java programmers who need to understand the Spring 3 framework and its application.
Prerequisites:Before proceeding with this tutorial you should have a good understanding of the Java programming language.
This is 1 of 16 parts of tutorial series
Tutorial Content: Spring tutorial for beginners
- Introduction to spring framework
Spring interview questions
Dependency injection(ioc) in spring
Spring hello world example in eclipse
Spring java based configuaration
Dependency injection via setter method in spring
Dependency injection via constructor in spring
Spring Bean scopes with examples
Initializing collections in spring
Beans Autowiring in spring
Inheritance in Spring
Spring lifetime callbacks
BeanPostProcessors in Spring
Annotation based Configuration in spring
Spring AOP tutorial
Spring is an open source framework created to address the complexity of enterprise application development. One of the chief advantages of the Spring framework is its layered architecture, which allows you to be selective about which of its components you use while also providing a cohesive framework for J2EE application development . If you may also go through spring interview questions for interview question on Spring.
- The basic concept of the Dependency Injection or Inversion of Control is that, programmer do not need to create the objects, instead just describe how it should be created. No need to directly connect your components and services together in program, instead just describe which services are needed by which components in a configuration file/xml file. The Spring IOC container is then responsible for binding it all up.
- Spring contains and manages the life cycle and configuration of application objects.
- Spring comes with MVC web application framework, built on core Spring functionality. This framework is highly configurable via strategy interfaces, and accommodates multiple view technologies like JSP, Velocity, Tiles, iText, and POI. But other frameworks can be easily used instead of Spring MVC Framework.
- Spring framework provides a generic abstraction layer for transaction management. This allowing the developer to add the pluggable transaction managers, and making it easy to demarcate transactions without dealing with low-level issues. Spring's transaction support is not tied to J2EE environments and it can be also used in container less environments.
- The JDBC abstraction layer of the Spring offers a meaningful exception hierarchy, which simplifies the error handling strategy. Integration with Hibernate, JDO, and iBATIS: Spring provides best Integration services with Hibernate, JDO and iBATIS
Architecture:Spring is well-organized architecture consisting of seven modules. Modules in the Spring framework are:
Spring AOP:One of the key components of Spring is the AOP framework. AOP is used in Spring:
To provide declarative enterprise services, especially as a
replacement for EJB declarative services. The most important such
service is declarative transaction
management, which builds on Spring's transaction
To allow users to implement custom aspects, complementing their use
of OOP with AOP
- To provide declarative enterprise services, especially as a replacement for EJB declarative services. The most important such service is declarative transaction management, which builds on Spring's transaction abstraction.
Spring ORM:The ORM package is related to the database access. It provides integration layers for popular object-relational mapping APIs, including JDO, Hibernate and iBatis.
Spring Web:The Spring Web module is part of Spring?s web application development stack, which includes Spring MVC.
Spring DAO:The DAO (Data Access Object) support in Spring is primarily for standardizing the data access work using the technologies like JDBC, Hibernate or JDO.
Spring Context:This package builds on the beans package to add support for message sources and for the Observer design pattern, and the ability for application objects to obtain resources using a consistent API.
Spring Web MVC:This is the Module which provides the MVC implementations for the web applications.
Spring Core:The Core package is the most import component of the Spring Framework.
This component provides the Dependency Injection features. The BeanFactory provides a factory pattern which separates the dependencies like initialization, creation and access of the objects from your actual program logic.
|Spring Framework Architecture|
In next post,we will see dependency injection(ioc) in spring.